We may collect, use, store and transfer different kinds of personal data:
- Information you give us – You may give us information about you by filling out forms on the Website or by corresponding with us by email, phone or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register to use the Website, place an order on our Website, provide us with details required for a particular product, participate in discussion boards or other social media functions on our Website, enter a competition, promotion or survey, and when you report a problem with our Website. The information you give us may include your and/or the recipient of your order’s name, billing address, delivery address, email address, phone number, age, date of birth, gender, photograph, username, password and other registration information. Each piece of information you give us may be used independently or in conjunction with other information you provide to us.
Note that if you provide us with someone else’s personal data in order to have an order delivered to them, that we will process that data to deliver the relevant order to them as instructed by you.
- Information we collect about you and your device – Each time you visit the Website we may automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
- information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time); products you viewed, purchased or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
Information we collect about you via advertising – From time to time, we may place ads on third party sites (such as YouTube). When you view or otherwise interact with our ads, we and our partners may use various technologies (such as cookies) to collect and store information about you including cookie data & anonymised IDs for attribution & advertising purposes. We use these technologies to help us understand more about our customers and the effectiveness of our adverts.
Information we receive from other sources – We may receive information about you if you use any of the other websites we operate or the other services we provide. We are also working closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies) and may receive information about you from them.
Location Information – We may also collect information about your location, such as the IP Address of the device you access our Website from.
Marketing and Communications Data includes your preferences in receiving marketing from us and your communication preferences.
We do not collect your financial information. This is collected and stored by third party payment processors.
apply for our products or services;
create an account on our website or utilise the live chat function on our website;
subscribe to our service or publications;
request marketing to be sent to you;
make a telephone call to us and leave a message or request a call back;
enter a competition, promotion or survey;
react to marketing posts on our social media forums (including but not limited to our Facebook, Twitter, Instagram pages); or
give us some feedback.
Third parties or publicly available sources. We may receive personal data about you from various third parties as set out below:
- Profile Data, Usage Data, Marketing and Communication Data, and Aggregated Data from the following parties;
- analytics providers such as Google based outside the EU;
- advertising networks;
- search information providers;
- third party providers of technical, payment and delivery services;
- from publicly available sources.
- to allow us to provide you with our books and related services
- Legal Basis – Performance of a contract with you.
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of the Website when you choose to do so (outside of placing an order for books or related services);
- Legal Basis – Legitimate Interest for you to interact with our website
- to conduct competitions and promotions;
- Legal Basis – Performance of a contract with you to fulfil the promotion and run the competition/prize
- to contact you about products and services you have requested;
- Legal Basis – Performance of a contract with you to fulfil product/service
- to notify you about material changes to the Website and/or services and to send you physical mailing which relates to the products and services we offer;
- Legal Basis – Legitimate Interest of ensuring registered customers are updated of any material changes
- to ensure that content from the Website is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- Legal Basis – Legitimate interests (to study how customers use our products/services, to improve our offering to our customers, to develop them and grow our business).
- to administer the Website and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- Legal Basis – Legitimate interests (for running our business, provision of administration and IT services, network security, to prevent fraud and in the context of a business reorganisation or group restructuring exercise).
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you and to others;
- Legal Basis – Legitimate interests (to study how customers use our products/ services, to develop them, to grow our business and to inform our marketing strategy)
- Use data analytics to improve our website, products/ services, marketing, customer relationships and experiences
- Legal Basis – Legitimate interests (to define types of customers for our products and services, to keep our website updated and relevant, to develop our business and inform our marketing strategy)
- to allow us to remind you about our products or services on particular dates you have provided us with (such as sending a birthday notification where you provide us with your date of birth)
- Legal Basis – Legitimate Interest (of fulfilling customer requests of being updated on products and services
- to allow us to provide you with other information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes
- Legal Basis – Consent (collected when you subscribe to the relevant mailing stream)
- to contact you by email, online push notifications and mobile communication (such as text (SMS) and "push" notification);
- Legal Basis – Consent (collected when you authorise the relevant method of communication)
Where you have not previously bought a product or service from us but have registered your details with us (for example by entering a competition or signing up for a newsletter), we will only send you marketing communications if you opted into receiving marketing at the time and so given us your express consent. However, if you receive a service from us, we may still need to send occasional service-related messages (for example, to confirm receipt of your order, or to notify you of any delays or delivery issues).
We will get your express opt-in consent before we share your personal data with any third party for marketing purposes. We require all third parties to respect the security of your personal data and to treat it in accordance with the law. We do not allow our third-party service providers to use your personal data for their own purposes and only permit them to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
You will have the option to unsubscribe from our e-mails through a link at the bottom of every e-mail we send to you. If you personally want to update the details that you have registered with us, or would like to amend your subscription preferences or unsubscribe altogether, you can do this in the “My Account” section of our Site.
You may have the option to unsubscribe from online push notifications through disallowing notifications in your browser.Where your data is stored
However, because the Pagesmith service enables users to create and deliver books to anywhere in the world, we do use the services of printers and delivery services located elsewhere in the world. As such, your personal data is likely to leave the UK, EU and/or EEA as part of your order being fulfilled.We will only transfer your personal data to third parties in territories outside the EEA where such transfer is compliant with applicable laws and regulations. For your information, this includes circumstances where;
The relevant jurisdiction is the subject of an applicable ‘Adequacy Decision’ which recognises that its local data protection laws are of a standard equivalent to GDPR, or where appropriate contractual safeguards are in place to ensure that GDPR equivalent standards are met.
In particular, you should know that the Pagesmith online store relies on tools provided by ‘Shopify’, an organisation located in Canada. Where your personal data is processed by Shopify as part of the process of you placing an order, that processing may occur in Canada (which is the subject of an Adequacy Decision, as described above).Retention Time
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements. For example, details of your orders will be kept for as long as we need to retain that data to comply with our legal and regulatory requirements. This is generally 7 years unless the law prescribes a longer period.
In some circumstances we may anonymise your personal data (so that it can no longer be associated with you) for research or statistical purposes in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.Data Security
Request access to your personal data (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal data we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
Request correction of the personal data that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate data we hold about you corrected, though we may need to verify the accuracy of the new data you provide to us.
Object to processing of your personal data where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground as you feel it impacts on your fundamental rights and freedoms. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal data for direct marketing purposes. In some cases, we may demonstrate that we have compelling legitimate grounds to process your information which override your rights and freedoms.
Request restriction of processing of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of your personal data in the following scenarios;
- if you want us to establish the data’s accuracy;
- where our use of the data is unlawful but you do not want us to erase it;
- where you need us to hold the data even if we no longer require it as you need it to establish, exercise or defend legal claims; or
- you have objected to our use of your data but we need to verify whether we have overriding legitimate grounds to use it.
Request the transfer of your personal data to you or to a third party. We will provide to you, or a third party you have chosen, your personal data in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format. Note that this right only applies to automated information which you initially provided consent for us to use or where we used the information to perform a contract with you.
Withdraw consent at any time where we are relying on consent to process your personal data. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent.
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with your request in these circumstances.
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access your personal data (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is a security measure to ensure that personal data is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. We may also contact you to ask you for further information in relation to your request to speed up our response.